CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Baby highs and lows

It was Sunday early morning 6th of July, , 2008,an emergency , and Meera, my sis,drove mom ,dad and me to the maternity home just 10 minutes away fom home. Reached the maternity home and a few tests and scans later, decided to go in for a C-section at 8:00 am.spoke to Gans who was at mumbai airport boarding a flight for b'lore...he asked me to hold on till he touches down B'lore...I smiled and told him I'll be ready with the gift when he touches down....At 8:12 am, a cute lil Bonny boy was born and half hour later I was shifted to my ward...the nurse brought a small bundle covered in soft white towel and showed the bundle to me...though I was sadeted I could see wide eyes staring back at me and surveying my face closely...I couldnt believe my eyes...this cute package had been creating havoc inside me for the past nine months and now he is finally out in the cold world....then Meera's mobile rang and I could hear Gans scream on the other end "hey I recieved Meera's sms...i am so sorry, I wasnt around for the C-section".An hour later, Gans just appeared from nowhere and planted a kiss on my cheek and cried on seeing our lil bundle....Mom, Gans and Meera immediately got on the job of caring for lil one...I was too sleepy even to keep my eyes open...the baby needed to be fed...the nurses suggested a local dairy's milk to be given fighting protests from mommy and Gans who insisted on either a high quality milk or formula....I tried feeding him the second day but was too sore from my surgery so he had to be given something else apart from mother's milk..and the nurses again suggested the local dairy milk....the next day the bonny boy turned into a bony boy and the weight loss was vey evident.we were worried but the pediatrician assured us that there was no cause for concern as weight loss is common....we werent convinced and meera and gans drove him to a neo natal speciality hospital where upon examinaton he had to be admitted to the ICU.Apparenty t was a severe case of dehydration and bacterial infection due to something he was fed with.The docs sounded the "critical" Alarm....it hadnt even been 72 hours for the lil one and his life was in danger already....of course, these facts were hidden from me for reason that I was under recovery myself...but Gan and Meera ran from pillar to post for different scans and blood tests for the lil one, he was under heavy medication and drips from his third day...the joy we were reveling in two days back turned into our life's biggest nightmare.I was separated from my baby winthin three days of his birth and the lil one stayed in ICU FOR 5 DAYS.Two of which being extremely critical.The day the doc gave us the "Out of danger" sign , we were so relieved we were taking him home afterall....he was going to live...

u can imagine the agony and truama all of us would have been thru...am blogging this really unpleasent episode only to tell all those reading my blog that please take care of ur precious one as soon as he/ she graces this world...if the mother can feed then please go for it the first hour itself and if she is unable to feed for some reason then give him doses of formula only even if the docs insist on some cheaper brand of milk.....coz ur baby deserves the best...

4 comments:

Justbeing-Sree said...

Gaushe!!! ALl your prayers did work Didi....Heartiest COngratulations on your first ever and it wasnt plesant at all going thru what you and the lil one went thru...Kudos to Meera n Gans..;))) Take care....shall tlak soon :)

aparna said...

hi Veena... congratulations on having a baby boy... also for having seen thru the nightmare... my best wishes to you and to ur family. and lots of love to the lill one... i am reminded of my delivery... very nostalgic indeed...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you two now three :-) The little one is a real fighter like his mommy I guess.

Strange that he won't remember this first and biggest battle of his life which he won. You should probably recount this tale when he's old enough to understand...

Unknown said...

Dear Veena akka,
Congrats for having the long coveted baby.
These unfortunate incidents give you the fortitute to face future with more courage.I pray the almighty to shower his blessings on Taksheel,a boy of not only strong character but also with sound health.Take care.Regards to athimber:-)
Priya