CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mumbai is for "Mumbaikars"

All this hoopla about Mumbai for Maharashrians is such a disheartening episode in the history of one of the largest melting pots of the world.
I am not making a political statement neither is it some kind of a regional point of view, but just an ordinary citizens' disgust about the whole razzmatazz.I have been living in Mumbai for 2 years now and have been really amazed with the metropolitan culture of the city. Have noticed the warm smiles and pride of being a mumbaikar irrespective of their region, religion or even nation. Have noticed people from all walks of life amalgamate beautifully in the melting pot of varied cultures. They love their Mumbai, and would be always prepared to defend it to the hilt if anyone even tries hurt their citys' sentiments.Mumbaikars are a clan of their own, they do not belong to any particular community or Nationality or Linguistic group. They speak a distinct language of their own, carry a distinct attitude and tolerance which is exclusive to them only. Just hint them on even considering a change of location and they'll cringe. They love being where they are and would definitely not swap cities with anyone for anything.For me Mumbai always stood for strength and Oneness of the people in times of crisis (not to forget the 7/11 and the July 22nd Train Blasts). The best thing about the place is that the citizens are always there for one-and other. I have noticed that this " Non-Maharashtra’s bashing" hasn’t gone down well with Mumbaikars(when I say Mumbaikars , I mean Maharashtrians too).I know of Maharashtrains who are so hospitable and so ever welcoming. There is this Maharashtrian Colleague in my office who is such a warm person and always goes out of his way to make me feel more comfortable in this big city. Because I am an outsider and new to the metropolis, I used to have certain reservations about the city, but he always was eager to help me out with any information I needed about different places in the city, so that I get more comfortable here and still keeps reassuring me that Mumbai is not such a bad place to live in after all. So when the so called "disgruntled local community" is not disgruntled at all about accepting people from other states, who is getting offended may, I ask? Well it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to deduce this as a political Gimmick, I still wonder if trying to disintegrate the strength of the MumbaiKars is going to help them in anyway.There are people who are still strong about their defence for the city inspite of being someone form the victimized community, but there are others also who are left disillusioned by the city of dreams and all that it has to offer.I feel if there is any sentiment that the so called disgruntled localite group should express on so many cultures prevailing in the metropolis, it should be that of pride and their chest should swell on being the original inhabitants of such a beautiful canvas of cultures, instead they have taken a stance of chasing away ironically those very people who Make Mumbai what it is today.But for this khichadi of Cultures, Mumbai would not have half the charm it holds today.Hope realization dawns on those that are ignorant and we the mumbaikars start co-existing once again, like one big happy family.

This too shall pass!!!!!!

1 comments:

Justbeing-Sree said...

Veenaaa Dee......What an exploration of the day for me!!! U rock with ur blogs and u wud see me and my head popping up here very often from now on.....!!! I found something worthwhile to read..;);)
Love!!